Killer Lorry Drivers...
Conor
2005-11-15 02:00:44 UTC
They have just had a trail for next weeks "Real Story" Monday BBC1 7.30

and the voice over???

"The Real Story.. THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS
KILLERS"

Grace Productions, the company behind the programme, came onto the
Trucknet forums wanting contributors. And the result....

73% of truckers don?t trust the BBC

TruckNet reports that it was recently approached by firm trying to make
a programme on tired truck drivers. ?Grace Productions called TruckNet
UK as we get over 40,000 visitors a month to www.trucknetuk.com and
they wanted to talk to the users of our forums,? says Rikki Chequer.
The firm says it has a commission from the BBC to do a programme on the
effects of sleep apnoea, the condition where breathing temporarily
stops and interrupts sleep, causing tiredness. The condition has many
causes, with sedentary and overweight people more at risk. ?We agreed
to help but 73% of the drivers who replied to their initial request for
information about driving trucks while tired refused to take part in
the poll, saying they didn?t trust the BBC. They fear that any
programme will be sensationalist and unfair, with many citing a recent
BBC Radio 4 programme which ran a very slanted item on trucks
working illegally in North Wales.?

Any wonder with a sensationalist programme trailer?
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
gazzafield
The BBC? Sensationalist?! They sometimes make the Sun look tame.
Conor
2005-11-15 12:35:21 UTC
In article <***@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko>,
gazzafield says...
Post by gazzafield
The BBC? Sensationalist?! They sometimes make the Sun look tame.
Its quite funny really because the two researchers made the mistake of
putting their contact numbers on the forum. I think they'll have busy
phones for a while depending on next week.

PC Paul
2005-11-15 19:33:50 UTC
Post by Conor
gazzafield says...
Post by gazzafield
The BBC? Sensationalist?! They sometimes make the Sun look tame.
Its quite funny really because the two researchers made the mistake of
putting their contact numbers on the forum. I think they'll have busy
phones for a while depending on next week.
Just maybe the documentary is *really* about how aggressive truck drivers
are... and I think they'll get all the material they need!
Conor
2005-11-16 01:13:37 UTC
Post by PC Paul
Post by Conor
gazzafield says...
Post by gazzafield
The BBC? Sensationalist?! They sometimes make the Sun look tame.
Its quite funny really because the two researchers made the mistake of
putting their contact numbers on the forum. I think they'll have busy
phones for a while depending on next week.
Just maybe the documentary is *really* about how aggressive truck drivers
are... and I think they'll get all the material they need!
Why is someone aggressive just because they tell someone what they
think of the detritus they produce?

gazzafield
2005-11-16 09:20:58 UTC
Post by PC Paul
Post by Conor
gazzafield says...
Post by gazzafield
The BBC? Sensationalist?! They sometimes make the Sun look tame.
Its quite funny really because the two researchers made the mistake of
putting their contact numbers on the forum. I think they'll have busy
phones for a while depending on next week.
Just maybe the documentary is *really* about how aggressive truck drivers
are... and I think they'll get all the material they need!
As a motorcyclist I have to disagree. As with every area of life you will
always get a minority of arseholes within a group, truckers being no
different. But I find the vast majority, especially when on my bike,
courteous, professional and observant such as when filtering. It is
usually a trucker driving a huge wagon that will try to get as close to
the kerb as possible when I'm filtering than someone in a car.
Ian
2005-11-15 10:33:07 UTC
"Conor" wrote in message
Post by Conor
They have just had a trail for next weeks "Real Story" Monday BBC1 7.30
and the voice over???
"The Real Story.. THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS
KILLERS"
Grace Productions, the company behind the programme, came onto the
Trucknet forums wanting contributors. And the result....
73% of truckers don?t trust the BBC
According to the latest government figures at dft_transstats_041304 it isn't
lorries which we need to worry about so much. The rate of deaths per 100
million vehicle kilometres for HGVs is 1.6 and for buses it is 2.3.

Ian
Christian McArdle
2005-11-15 17:56:21 UTC
Post by Ian
According to the latest government figures at dft_transstats_041304 it isn't
lorries which we need to worry about so much. The rate of deaths per 100
million vehicle kilometres for HGVs is 1.6 and for buses it is 2.3.
Given that trucks generally average just above 1 person and buses probably
average 20-30 or more, I would have expected a vast difference between these
figures. Are you sure they're not per 100 million person kilometres or
something?

Christian.
Nick Finnigan
2005-11-15 22:08:50 UTC
Post by Ian
lorries which we need to worry about so much. The rate of deaths per 100
million vehicle kilometres for HGVs is 1.6 and for buses it is 2.3.
Given that trucks generally average just above 1 person and buses probably
average 20-30 or more, I would have expected a vast difference between these
figures. Are you sure they're not per 100 million person kilometres or
something?
It is the rate of involvement in fatal accidents per 100 million vkm.
Based on 472 HGVs in fatal accidents (including 76 pedestrians)
and 121 buses (52 pedestrians).
Ian
2005-11-15 22:27:12 UTC
Post by Ian
lorries which we need to worry about so much. The rate of deaths per 100
million vehicle kilometres for HGVs is 1.6 and for buses it is 2.3.
Given that trucks generally average just above 1 person and buses probably
average 20-30 or more, I would have expected a vast difference between these
figures. Are you sure they're not per 100 million person kilometres or
something?
No, they are per 100 million vehicle kilometres. The people killed aren't
necessarily in the vehicles. You regularly hear on the news of buses going
out of control and hitting the queue of people waiting at the bus stop. Not
surprising really as they are designed to operate around people, whereas
lorries are designed to carry goods.

The death rate per 100 million vehicle kilometres for pedal cycles is 3.7
and motorcycles is the worst at 13. How many of those are the fault of the
rider and how many are other people's fault is usually disputed.

Ian
Conor
2005-11-16 01:09:16 UTC
Post by Ian
No, they are per 100 million vehicle kilometres. The people killed aren't
necessarily in the vehicles. You regularly hear on the news of buses going
out of control and hitting the queue of people waiting at the bus stop. Not
surprising really as they are designed to operate around people, whereas
lorries are designed to carry goods.
...which get delivered in towns where people are...

Christian McArdle
2005-11-16 09:56:48 UTC
Post by Conor
...which get delivered in towns where people are...
However, such a difference could be explained by the fact that buses have to
drive towards crowds of people at bus stops, football matches and crowded
city centres, whilst trucks spend a much lower period of time in such
locations.

Christian.
Conor
2005-11-16 16:19:18 UTC
In article <437b0261$0$23980$***@read.news.uk.uu.net>, Christian
McArdle says...
Post by Christian McArdle
Post by Conor
...which get delivered in towns where people are...
However, such a difference could be explained by the fact that buses have to
drive towards crowds of people at bus stops, football matches and crowded
city centres, whilst trucks spend a much lower period of time in such
locations.
So in fact, that makes buses even WORSE as the majority of their time
is spent driving at very low speeds.

Dr Zoidberg
2005-11-15 13:10:35 UTC
Post by Conor
They have just had a trail for next weeks "Real Story" Monday BBC1 7.30
and the voice over???
"The Real Story.. THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS
KILLERS"
Grace Productions, the company behind the programme, came onto the
Trucknet forums wanting contributors. And the result....
73% of truckers don?t trust the BBC
Now why am I not surprised.
I wouldn't trust anyone making a program to be impartial when they are
clearly trying to prove their point in a "Think of the children" fashion.
--
Alex

Hermes: "We can't afford that! Especially not Zoidberg!"
Zoidberg: "They took away my credit cards!"

www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk
.
2005-11-15 22:24:55 UTC
Post by Conor
They have just had a trail for next weeks "Real Story" Monday BBC1 7.30
and the voice over???
"The Real Story.. THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS
KILLERS"
Grace Productions, the company behind the programme, came onto the
Trucknet forums wanting contributors. And the result....
73% of truckers don?t trust the BBC
at best, 73% of *visitors* who use a web forum didn't trust the BBC

of those 30 odd thousand, how many acrually have a truck as opposed
to an anorak, a flask and an 83% complete stobart spotter annual. ?
Post by Conor
but 73% of the
drivers who replied to their initial request for information about
driving trucks while tired refused to take part in the poll
how many 'truck' drivers (working drivers) were actually asked

or drive tired ? or have a TV licence for the cab TV ?

for that matter, how many visitors to that site have a truck driving job as
opposed to an anorak, a flask and an 83% complete stobart spotter book ?
Post by Conor
Any wonder with a sensationalist programme trailer?
low educational standards coupled to having a driving licence as the only
marketable skill, propensity to read tabloids, watch too much trash TV,
be fat eat rubbish food .......

p.s. 79% of people who read the above will laugh and 63% of statistics
are made up on the spot.
Conor
2005-11-16 01:12:56 UTC
Post by .
or drive tired ? or have a TV licence for the cab TV ?
You don't need a seperate TV licence, fuckface.
Post by .
low educational standards
Rich coming from someone who doesn't even have a basic grasp of written
English. So what qualifications do you have? Judging by your posts,
fuck all as you can't even form a sentence properly. Clue - first
letter of a sentence is a capital.
Post by .
coupled to having a driving licence as the only
marketable skill,
Must be nice to be as ignorant as you.
Post by .
propensity to read tabloids, watch too much trash TV,
be fat eat rubbish food .......
ROFLMAO...clueless.
Post by .
p.s. 79% of people who read the above will laugh and 63% of statistics
are made up on the spot.
And you're a cunt.

.
you may think so but it's not me that gets excited about an extra 50p per hour.
Conor
2005-11-16 01:29:00 UTC
Post by .
you may think so but it's not me that gets excited about an extra 50p per hour.
Me neither. Extra £2/hr this year.

Oh, and can you please try to use fucking capital letters? That way,
it's not like trying to read my 5 year olds schoolwork. Actually come
to think of it, even he uses capital letters so you're a step below
him.

.
2005-11-16 01:41:42 UTC
Post by Conor
Post by .
you may think so but it's not me that gets excited about an extra 50p per hour.
Me neither.
http://snipurl.com/jy76

next case.
Conor
2005-11-16 16:18:27 UTC
Post by .
http://snipurl.com/jy76
next case.
What was the point you were trying to make?

I'm now getting £2/hr more than I was in August.

Ian Johnston
2005-11-16 21:58:47 UTC
Post by Conor
"The Real Story.. THE SLEEP DISORDER THAT CAN MAKE LORRY DRIVERS
KILLERS"
How does a sleep disorder make someone rape and kill (sometimes in
that order) a hitchhiker, steal her stuff, wrap her body in carper
underlay and dump it in a layby?

Ia
Conor